The historic Vegetable Building built in 1860, closed in 1892. It was moved to Belle Island in 1894, where it became a stable for horses and the Detroit Mounted Police. By 2003, it was in a sad state of disrepair and would have been torn down if the Henry Ford Museum had not come forward with funds to save it. The museum dismantled, cataloged and preserved each piece for future construction in Greenfield Village.
Allen Architectural Metals created drawings, custom patterns and castings of the building columns and crestings.