The Manhattan Bridge is one of three suspension bridges that cross the East River connecting Lower Manhattan with Brooklyn. It was the last of the three suspension bridges built across the lower East River, following the Brooklyn and Williamsburg Bridges. The Manhattan Bridge was opened to traffic on December 31, 1909. The bridge was designed and built by Polish bridge engineer Ralph Modjeski with deflection cable designed by Leon Moisseiff. The original pedestrian walkway on the south side of the bridge was reopened after sixty year in June of 2001.
Allen Metals was responsible for the re-creations of the pedestrian canopies located on both sides of the bridge approximately 1/4 mile from both entrances. The four 20’x25′ cast iron and steel canopies re-created were originally designed to protect pedestrians during inclement weather while crossing the bridge. The canopies also house the re-creations of the original cast bronze plaques that give bridge specification, architects, engineers and dates. These massive bronze plaques were meticulously crafted in high relief and fine details. There are a total of 4 canopies for the bridge, each housing one of the four 10″x5′ bronze plaques. Each of the canopies was fully assembled at the company’s production facility then dismantled, finished and shipped back to the city for anchorage to the bridge. Today they are impressive and functional as they are an integral part of the Manhattan Bridge and skyline.