New York’s most prestigious address returns in all its original magnificence. The distinctive landmark will emerge from a thoughtful and delicate four-hundred-million-dollar restoration, its glory and history intact. The Plaza is the second hotel of that name on the site. The French Renaissance chateau-styled building was designed by Henry Janeway Hardenbergh and opened on October 1, 1907, with construction costs of $12.5 million. In 1969, the Plaza Hotel became the first hotel in New York designated as a city landmark. The Plaza originally hosted 805 guest rooms which have now been converted into 282 hotel rooms and 181 luxury condominiums by the new owner El-Ad Properties and Kingdom Holdings, El-Ad Properties closed the Plaza on April 30, 2005, to undergo the massive three-year renovation.
As part of the extensive renovation, Allen Architectural Metals was chosen to replicate the ornate cast iron entrance canopy located on 58th Street. The original components were salvaged and used in the replication efforts to restore the entrance canopy to its original grandeur. New components were cast to replace the missing or damaged pieces and clad to a new steel frame. Careful attention to the details was required to ensure the completed canopy could be disassembled in sections and transported to the site for reassembly and installation. With the renovation efforts complete, the Plaza Hotel sets a new standard of luxury for New York’s premiere landmark hotel.