Trinity College was founded in 1823 on the site on what is now the State Capitol. The campus was moved to its present location in the mid-1800. “ The Long Walk” complex consist of three brownstone buildings designed by the English architect William Burgess and executed by architect Francis H. Kimball. “ The Long Walk” is the core of the 100-acre campus. Construction on the “Long Walk” was complete in 1878 and the Northam Towers in 1883. Their design was the only commission Burgess accepted outside the United Kingdom in his career.The brownstones are prime examples of High Victorian Collegiate Gothic Architecture and have long been the signature building on Trinity’s campus. This renovation marked the largest renovation project the college had ever done while trying to preserve the historical but functional buildings.
The renovation plans were drawn up with the help of Trinity Graduate Peter Knapp. Peter a college archivist found the original building plans designed by Burgess and carried out by Francis H. Kimball. The 14 month long renovation included stabilizing and reinforcing 88 stone dormers and restoring and replacing 1,200 cast iron windows among many other projects. Allen Architectural Metals Inc. was responsible for the replacement and restoration of the cast iron windows which included 900 functioning cast iron frames and sashes fully glazed including hardware and over 300 leaded and stain glass windows fully glazed including hardware. Allen Architectural Metals Inc. also undertook the tedious task of installing and making functional all of the windows in this multi-story, 925’ long building.
SmithEdwards of Hartford, Connecticut
Consigli Construction Co. Hartford, Connecticut